The House passed a school choice bill this week that I fully supported. The purpose of the bill is to –
- Provide tax credits for certain contributions to a nonprofit scholarship funding organization;
- Expand educational opportunities for children of families that have limited financial resources or exceptional needs; and
- Enable children in this State to achieve a greater level of excellence in their education.
The bill extends the following deductions/credits –
- A deduction of up to $2,000 per student to parents who educate their children at home.
- A deduction of up to $4,000 per student to parents who educate their children at an independent school.
- A deduction of up to $1,000 per student to parents who educate their children in a public school outside of their attendence area.
- A tax credit to any individual or corporation who donates funds to a scholarship funding organization. This measue specifically benefits low income and physically challenged students.